I've mentioned in a previous post (Fiber is Your Friend) that my mom, Lou (yes, I call her by her first name), is a Registered Nurse and Health Coach who makes it her mission to ply me with high fiber foods and nutrition facts. Well, I think it is only fair let her nag you all into health as well!! She really does have good information...it is her job, after all. So in this new feature she's going to share with us all her crazy-ass recipes and tips to help us not only be derby champs, but pooping champs as well!! Hooray!!
You can check out more information on Lou's programs on her website: http://www.yourlifestylematters.com/.
3. Tell us how shocked you were when you found out you were going to be a derby mom?
Thought I'd have 9 months to prepare...but sometimes adopting a sport happens in a phone call. Love the sport - just not too fond of the injuries ("Well mom, I just broke my leg in 4 places" - I HATE those kind of calls!)
4. How do you feel about your new grand-daughter being slated to become a derby champ when she grows up?
I hope she is empowered to be an athlete and feels she can tackle whatever physical or mental challenge she chooses...or that may choose her.
5. Be honest, what is your real opinion about roller derby?
Okay, honestly I wish I understood the scoring and rules a little better....I "get" hockey, football and basketball...there should be a brief scoring and rule info session for us slow learners at the beginning of each bout. (at least I know it is a bout...right?)
6. What are some derby names that you find particularlyfunny/clever?
I love Bork-Bork-Bork! Also, gotta admit there's names that should make me blush if I just knew what they meant.
7. Let's just lay it all out here once and for all...Who is your favorite child, me or Tyler (<--yeah, I have a brother)?
My favorite daughter is BioniKate....I am allowed more than one "favorite', by the way.
8. What are your non-mom/grandma hobbies/activities/hidden talents?
Love gardening, hiking, laughing, and cooking.
9. What inspired you to become a Health Coach/Nutritionist?
As a certified Psychiatric Nurse, I spent years counseling individuals and felt that many issues could be tied to health....my own Rheumatoid Arthritis was healed 5 years ago by going gluten free. I have seen first-hand that nutrition, exercise, and a healthy lifestyle can dramatically change lives. Why wouldn't one want to choose health?
10. Do you collect anything, if so, what/why?
I collect the love of my family and good thoughts from my clients...my husband's 100 restored WWII military helmets take up enough room for the both of us.
11. What was your favorite Holiday or Birthday present received as a kid?
My Chatty Cathy doll helped me through a rough period as a child. When I was 4 years old I fell part-way through a glass storm door and severed my right arm almost all the way off at the shoulder. It was reattached and then I had several surgeries at the Cleveland Clinic to restore some function to my hand. This was back in 1959 (yeah....I am an old one!) and they weren't as experienced in reattaching limbs. I am thankful that God allowed me to have my arm and the lessons it has taught me in life. Chatty Cathy helped me through the surgeries...I literally wore her chat right out of her.
12. Do you have Tattoos? What, where, and why?
Not yet! ....wow...I may be open-minded to this. Would turn a birthmark into a daisy on a certain part of my body
13. What is something that most people don’t know, or would never guess about you?
I LOVE rollercoasters....would LOVE to Bungee jump, parachute from a plane (would pee my pants) and take a hot air balloon ride.
14. What movie(s )can you watch over and over and never get sick of?
Return to Me and Pride and Prejudice
15. I can't leave the house without...?
My iphone (I AM addicted!)...and homemade trailmix.
16. What would I find in your refrigerator right now?
Organic Kale, spinach, zuchinni, arugula, fresh mushrooms, tomatoes, organic apples, strawberries, ground flaxseed, coconut oil, almond milk, nutritional yeast, sour cherry juice, black bean brownies, curried lentil and cauliflower soup, white wine,feta and blue cheese,....shall I continue???? I LOVE to cook!
17. What is your most over-used word or phrase?
"Really?", "There ya go..."
18. Very first set of wheels?
A beige Volkswagon Beetle
19. What is the biggest life hurdle that you have had to overcome?
Shyness from being heavy as a kid (weighed over 200 lbs at age 12- back then it would have been considered heavy) and with a disability of my right arm that made me feel self-conscious.
20. List 3 things that you plan to accomplish in 2012?
Learning how to be a good grandma (new role), better friend, and kind mentor.