Name: Heartless Martis
1. What league(s) are you/have you been affiliated with?
Our league is Clarksville Roller Derby, and our team is The Red River Sirens.
2. How long have you been skating (derby)?
My derby b-day is July 28th, 2010.
3. How did you discover roller derby?
There was an article on the Sirens in my local newspaper on July 27th, 2010. I changed my schedule, bought the cheapest gear I could find, and showed up the next day for practice!
4. List your most notable derby injuries?
Nothing really notable, thank goodness. Just a cranky left ankle when it's cold or when it feels like being a bit sore.
5. What was/is your oddest non-derby injury?
I dropped a number 10 can on my right big toe over a year and a half ago. The nail was very damaged and it soon fell off. Just as it was almost regrown 8 months later, a teammate and I wear dancing and we collided. She stubbed that same nail, and the whole nail went SIDEWAYS on the nail bed. The pain was excruciating! It hasn't regrown all the way, yet, and it is always sore. :(
6. How did you select your derby name and number?
My last name is Martis, and the word "Heartless" flows really well with it, except that people always call me Heartless Mart-lis. People say I am anything but Heartless, until they are next to me on the track. My number represents the weapon I love and am great at shooting; the 44 Magnum; my tagline for bouts includes, "Do I feel lucky....well, do ya punk?".
7. When not being a derby badass, what do you do for work (company can be kept anonymous)?
I manage a pizza restaurant; I am gluten-intolerant, so I just love smelling and making all the yummy food I can't eat!!!
8. What are some derby names that you find particularly funny/clever?
Specifically from my team....Hi Lee Toxic, Ref Colonel Cuntroller, Raggedy Antics, and Wanda B Lethal
|Photo by Daniel Whitaker|
Singing, writing, cutting a rug, and making people spew milk out of their noses!
12. Do you collect anything, if so, what/why?
JUNK. I have hoarder tendencies. I try to keep under control. ;)
13. What was your favorite Holiday or Birthday present received as a kid?
Money, as horrible as that sounds. I care more about presents with sentimental or thought-out meaning now. Money was king when I was a kid, so I could buy a bunch of those crazy-haired wishing trolls.
14. Who was the object of your most embarrassing teenage celebrity obsession?
Captain Hook from the movie Hook....Yes, Dennis Hoffman in that wig and outfit. I've always had a thing for bad boys. In wigs.
15. Which celebrity would you like to be friends with?
I don't want to be friends with those people! They have no private lives, free time, or real-world agendas!
16. Do you have Tattoos? What, where, and why?
My first was a total tramp stamp with the letter "M" for Megan (I figured it was a permanent thing, so it was worth inking on!) and a design coming from both sides, but now it works as my family crest for "Martis", haha. What's most interesting is that fact that I have 6 tattoos done by 7 different artists. I'm terrible about spontaneity. I like to give various people a chance, but based on my last tattoo, I found a very talented artist I would like to stick with when I can afford to pay for his awesome work! :)
25. List 3 things that you plan to accomplish in 2012?
Have a successful derby season (win a lot!), lose 20 lbs., and not die in a catastrophic event.