Hey other men's derby leagues, I want to feature your skaters too! Drop me a message (email address listed in "About" section) and I'll interview you too!!
Name: Atticus Flinch
New York Shock Exchange and Gotham Girls Roller Derby
2. How long have you been skating (derby)?
It’ll be 2 years this August
3. How did you discover roller derby?
My roommate a few years ago was a fan of the Gotham Girls and made me aware they existed. One day I gathered a few friends and starting attending their bouts. I was immediately enthralled. A year later I was buying some skates at Five Stride Skate Shop and Sugar Daddy from Gotham happened to be there and told me I should come to ref practice.
4. List your most notable derby injuries:
Lots of rink rash! My knees are pretty scarred up from it. Luckily nothing broken or torn yet. 2 black eyes from stray elbows. I got swept off my feet a few weeks ago and cracked my ankle into the floor. Didn't break but had to have it realigned.
5. What was/is your oddest non-derby injury?
Broken hand in college from a very confusing incident involving ethernet cable a door.
6. How did you select your derby name/number?
I was originally thinking of Davey Rocket because my dad used to call me Davey Crocket when I was a kid but I figured people would just call me Dave or Davey for short. Since that's my real name it seemed dull. I was really into Doctor Who at the time (still am) but couldn't come up with anything so I moved to literature. I love To Kill a Mockingbird and have always admired Atticus Finch so it was an easy choice once I hit upon it.
7. When not being a derby badass, what do you do for work?
I am the Senior Interface Designer at an Arts/Tech start-up. I design our sites and do front-end development work.
8. What are some derby names that you find particularly funny/clever?
One of my favs is “Just Carol”
9. What is your non-derby first name?
10. If you could have chosen your own non-derby name, what would it be?
Oh gee this is a big question. Since I probably would have been pretty young when this choice would have been thrust upon me and knowing my child self as well as I do I think I would have picked Bert and Ernie. Yeah both of them. My name would have been Bert AND Ernie.
11. What are your non-derby hobbies/activities/hidden talents?
Hobbies: I like making or fixing things with my hands. Food, furniture, books, random crafts etc. I especially like toying with arduinos. I sold my motorcycle but I used to be an avid rider and tinkerer until derby stole my weekends. As far as hidden talents go I like to juggle and occasionally can be seen riding a unicycle.
12. Do you collect anything, if so, what/why?
Scrap wood/materials and books. I like tools and things that enable you to create things. Self sufficiency is a big big love of mine.
13. What was your favorite Holiday or Birthday present received as a kid?
A space pen. It wrote upside down!!!
14. Who was the object of your most embarrassing teenage celebrity obsession?
Watts from “Some Kind of Wonderful” played by Mary Stuart Masterson. She was my punk rock roller skate dream date and I am not embarrassed at all. I don't care what you say, that kiss is hot!
15. Which celebrity would you like to be friends with?
Neil Patrick Harris. Did you know he’s the president of the Magic Castle? I mean how much cooler can you get?
16. Do you have Tattoo’s? What, where, and why?
Nope! I am too indecisive, I can never settle on an idea! Maybe a lightning bolt?
17. What is something that most people don’t know, or would never guess about you?
I was straight edge for a long time and although I have a drink occasionally now I have never taken any recreational drugs. I even try to steer clear of pain killers unless its really serious. Also I have never imbibed even a single drop of coffee. Weird, I know.
18. What movie(s) can you watch over and over and never get sick of?
Singing in the Rain, Say Anything, It Happened One Night and The Princess Bride. Oh and Ghostbusters.
19. I can’t leave the house without…?
My phone (obvious I know), giant clunky clanking key ring, my tiny Swiss army knife, tea tree toothpicks and something to read.
20. What would I find in your refrigerator right now?
You would find something that smells, I don't know what it is or where it is but it’s in there and driving me crazy. Also you’d find Almond Milk, Brown rice protein powder, some salmon, chicken, broccoli and some other veggies. What else. Some spicy Korean chili paste, some other curry pastes. Nothing too crazy.
21. What is your most over-used word or phrase?
It’s a tie between “What?” and “I don’t remember you telling me that.”
I just finished Virtual Light by William Gibson and The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Stewart Lee. I am a sucker for young adult novels.
23. Very first set of wheels?
My dads old Jeep Grand Cherokee.
24. What is the biggest life hurdle that you have overcome?
I feel like all hurdles are big in their own ways but I always try to take each in stride and try not to sweat them too much. This years spring roll was definitely a huge challenge for me. Last year I played in maybe 1 jam in our St Louis bout and a few in the others. This year I got bumped up into the jammer rotation and was blocking a lot. It was a big change for me, like going through puberty all over again! After injuring my ankle 2 weeks ago I was nervous as hell that I wouldn’t be able to do it. Took a lot of positive thinking to stay confident and push through any doubts or fatigue. It was a blast.
25. List 3 things that you plan to accomplish in 2012?
Help my team win the 2012 MRDA Championships. Travel to Alaska to visit my brother, sister-in-law and niece (it’s been a long time since I made it up there). Maintain a balance between my career, derby and personal life or at least do a better job of it then I did last year.